Roseland Let Loose

Roseland 57 – Stithians 7

Saturday afternoon saw Stithians make the short trip to Philleigh for another fixture in the Tribute Cornwall League.

This match pitted Roseland (9th) versus Stithians (8th) in a potentially season defining game. The winner had the chance to possibly secure Cornwall One rugby after Christmas. Stithians held the upper hand by being a point above Roseland.

The first half was a fairly even affair as Stithians kicked the game off playing down the slope and with the wind. The opening quarter was a bit nip and tuck before Roseland grabbed the opening score with a try that has baffled everyone as prop Martin Kneebone emerged from a Stithians maul inside their 22 to canter over for a try. Fly half Matt Eddy converted from the touchline.
Roseland were soon at it again when a penalty was kicked to the corner and after several phases eventually No8 Nathan Chapman burrowed over the line for a try. Eddy missed the conversion.
Stithians started to exert a bit of pressure on Roseland now and were camped in the Roseland 22 for quite some time before an excellent interception broke up the play and allowed Roseland to escape.
Roselands next try came from a lovely running line by centre Matt Riorden who crashed through the defence before an offload to Matt Eddy who was tracking on the inside to score. Eddy converted the score and Roseland led 19-0. Stithians thought hit right back and a poor restart from Roseland gifted Stithians possession who capitalised when there centre hit a lovely line of his own to burst through the defence and dot down a well deserved try. This was converted and the score was 19-7.
Roseland hit back though with a bonus point try before the break when lovely hands across the line ,and a final switch, winger Sammy Glanville carried the last defender over the line for a try. Eddy missed the conversion and the half time score was 24-7.

The second half saw Roseland break loose and score some fine individual and team tries.
The opening half of the second half was still a cagey affair with Stithians exerting their own pressure on Roseland but just unable to unlock the defence. On the other hand Roseland were at their most clinical. The first try of the second half came from pure grunt and was awarded to flanker Rhys Daniels who has impressed since joining the club this season. Eddy converted.
The next try came from a bit more finesse with lovely hands between forwards and backs creating space out wide for centre Tommy Whiles to trundle over for a score. Eddy again converted.
Stithians never gave up but Roseland really started to hit their straps now with another try, this time by skipper Andrew Stark with a fine solo effort after gather a lose kick he broke through several tackles before scoring under the posts. Eddy had no problems with the conversion. Rhys scored his second try of the game, another good solo effort with a dummy kick before smashing through a defender and then stepping his way to the line. Eddy converted.
Roselands final try came with the last play of the game. After good build up play, an audacious tunnel ball pass, by flanker Joe “Gypsy” Warren, this was to be Gypsy’s last contribution to Roseland RFC as he moves to Australia for work purposes, was gathered by winger Andy Harris who dotted down for the score. Eddy missed the touchline conversion.

The final score of 57-7 probably flattered Roseland slightly as Stithians weren’t really as far behind as the score line might suggest.
Roseland travel to Veor on Saturday with the new 2:30 kick offs now in place.