Roseland 8 – Liskard 40

Roseland Falter versus Liskard

Saturday afternoon saw Wales v England at Cardiff in the Six Nations but the biggest game of the day was Roseland v Liskard at Philleigh in Cornwall One.

Despite the recent wet weather, the howling winds and plummeting temperatures had helped dry the pitch into a playable condition but still left the conditions underfoot to be on the heavy side.

Liskard kicked the game off playing down the slope and with the wind. Roseland knew they’d be in for a tough 40 minutes playing against the elements. As ever the opening exchanges were a cagey affair as both sides settled into the game and probed each others defences.
Liskard scored the first try after the ball was worked wide and the Roseland defenders dropped off some tackles.
Midway through the half Liskard again scored to stretch their lead to 12-0.
Roseland weren’t having any luck though. Despite lots of good play and several visits to the Liskard 22 Roseland just couldn’t get on the score board. Even a kickable, albeit distant, penalty kick was pulled agonisingly wide by Day.
To compound matters Liskard scored another converted try right on the stroke of half time to lead 19-0 at half time.

The half was an even affair with neither side totally gaining the upper hand and both teams prepared to play good running rugby and putting in some solid defensive tackles.

The second half carried on in a similar vain to that of the first half. Both sides playing solid rugby. Roseland making inroads into the Liskard 22 and keeping them pinned back with clever kicking but Liskard, as ever, were very solid in the lineout. Regularly securing solid ball and generally disrupting Roselands.
Roseland, via Day, did convert a simple penalty in front of the sticks to make it 19-3. They also scored a well deserved try when after sustained pressure Chapman made a half break before offloading to the marauding Joe “Gypsy” Warren who touched down in the far right corner. Day, who had an off day with the boot, just missed the touchline conversion.
At 19-8 Roseland felt like they could claw their way back into the contest, unfortunately Day again missed another penalty, that would of brought the game to within a few points.
Liskard then showed why they are a senior side and started to dominate with their bigger backs making inroads.
Despite valiant Roseland defence Liskard ran in 3 more converted tries, one right on the stroke of the final whistle to bring the final score to 40-8 which probably flattered Liskard slightly.

The game was played in an excellent spirit and both sides were determined to keep the ball alive and play flowing rugby, mixed with physical defence, this was aided by excellent refereeing.

Roseland now have two back to back away fixtures. First versus St Agnes, a derby game that will complete the first half of the league fixtures, on 18th February and then away to Camborne School of Mines on the 25th February.