Roseland 25 – Camelford 10

Roseland finally kick start Cup Campaign

On a cold and windy day on Saturday Roseland entertained Camelford in what would be the first of four meetings between the sides. Roseland claimed the early bragging rights by coming out victorious by 25-10

With a strong wind blowing down the paddock to the gate end of the field, as ever, both sides knew that the team that handled the elements best would stand a good chance of coming out on top. It must be noted that given the recent bad weather the pitch was looking immaculate, and relatively firm underfoot, and all credit should go to Ben Taylor, Sam Glanville and Shaun Eamer for keeping the pitch looking so good.

Roseland fielded a slightly different side to normal with several fringe players gaining there first starts of the season and a chance to stake a claim for regular starting spots. With this and several others unavailable Roseland knew that they had to be at that utmost best to beat an improving Camelford side who have had a reasonable start to their own season.

Camelford kicked off the game playing with the slope and the wind and instantly put Roseland under pressure who failed to claim the kick off cleanly and concede a throw in. Both sides appeared prepared to throw the ball around leading to an entertaining game from start to finish. Camelford made the early inroads with some strong running and poor defence from Roseland and would of take an early lead despite some handling errors and some last ditch defence. During the opening exchanges Roseland were guilty of conceding several penalties and it was from such a penalty that Roseland lost a player to the sin bin for a professional foul. Camelford kicked the resultant penalty for 3-0 lead and a man advantage for 10 minutes.

Roseland clawed there way back into the game and with several players making good breaks, prop Jonathon Goodenough showing a good turn of pace in one such break, they finally appeared to have woken up however it was Camelford who came roaring back. Again the first time defence of Roseland let them down and Camelford got in behind the Roseland defence and after several phases and ball retention they finally crashed over near the sticks, with the try converted Camelford now led 10-0 and had their tails up.

Some strong words were sounded out behind the Roseland sticks and they finally got into the game. Despite the Camelford pack putting the inexperienced and lighter Roseland pack under pressure the Roseland centres of Craig “Forrest Gump” Edwards and Simon Strong made some strong carriers in the midfield for the pack players to get some go forward. Playing an advantage Roseland battered the Camelford line only for the Camelford defence to stand strong. From the kickable penalty, the usually reliable Eddy missed in the difficult conditions and Roseland knew a try was needed. With the pace and tempo picked up by a fully restored Roseland side they got there just rewards when after several strong runs and quick clear outs the ball was fed to number 8 Nathan Chapman who picked a lovely line to crash through two defenders and dot down under the sticks, Eddy converted and Rosleand were back in the game at 10-7.

With the pace and tempo of the Rosleand attack now firmly on the up Camelford started to struggle and kept Roseland at bay with some organised defence and some booming clearance kicks. Half time arrived with the score still 10-7 and Roseland sniffed a chance.

This season Roselands overall play has been much improved with lots of newer players now fitter and more confident with ball in hand and a season or two wiser, so the confidence was high of snatching a victory.

Early in the second half Roseland won a kickable penalty which was duly converted by full back Eddy to level the scores at 10-10. With the scores level Roseland made their only changes of the game bringing on Anthony Thomas and Martin Kneebone in an attempt to add some bulk to the lightweight pack.

Camelford struggled to exit there own half against the strong wind but when they made forays into the Roseland half they made there presence felt and almost scored a wonderful team try but for the final pass to be knocked on with the try line begging. They also had two kickable penalty attempts but failed to land either one. With these near misses in mind the Roseland lads knew that they had to score once if not twice to put the game to bed.

Roselands pack had struggled for a lot of the afternoon and despite several times showing signs of re-asserting themselves it was from one particular scrum that was heading backwards that the ball squirted out. It was regathered and shipped on by scrum half Tom Day and with quick hands from all the back line creating space for winger Sammy Glanville to score in the corner. Eddy slotted the difficult touchline conversion and Roseland were 17-10 to the good. Not to rest on there laurels the Roseland pack really came into there own in the final 15-10 minutes with massive contributions from everyone. With Martin Kneebone and Ryan Harris to the fore at the breakdowns, hooker Rhys Bull had several telling runs with ball in hand, ably supported by Jake Flamank. With Joe Warren and Joe Davidson doing excellent work in the line outs the Roseland lads firmly believed victory was possible.

Roseland won another kickable penalty that was slotted by Eddy to stretch the lead to 20-10 and give themselves some breathing space. In an attempt to run Camelford off the park Roseland kept the tempo of the game fast. With the ball was being spun from one wing to the other veteran Shaun Eamer was pulling the strings at 10 and chances were starting to appear. New winger Matt Willsher was unlucky not score in the top corner however with the ball recycled and after several phases the ball was finally worked wide to Chapman, who was loitering on the wing, to canter over for his second try. From a similar angle to the last conversion Eddy felt confident stepping up to the ball, the conversion was missed.

With time running out Camelford kept playing valiantly until the end with several determined runs almost breaking the Roseland defence. However it wasn’t to be and with the final whistle both teams shook hands after a pulsating afternoons rugby.

Rosleand finally kick started their Tribute Cup campaign after an agonising loss at home to Liskard they came away from this game with the win. Next Saturday (28th) Roseland travel to Lankelly-Fowey, again in the cup, for round two of there four games against them.