Last Gasp Try Denies Roseland Famous Win

Newquay 22 – Roseland 16

Saturday afternoon saw the return of junior rugby to the playing fields of Cornwall. Roselands first task was a trip to the Newquay Sports Centre to play last seasons Cornwall One Runners Up Newquay. The format for this season was the same as last year with all the teams playing each other once before splitting into Cornwall One and Two after Christmas.

On a glorious afternoon more befitting to a game of cricket, as was being played above the rugby pitch, than a game of rugby both sides looked to hit the ground running. The pitch was looking immaculate with enough give to take metal studs. There was a moderate breeze blowing across the pitch to the scoreboard corner which Roseland were playing with in the first half.
Roselands pack was strong but the back line was a little disjointed but didn’t show itself up.

Both sides were intent on playing free flowing rugby. The early exchanges were daily even but it was Newquay who drew first blood after about 10 minutes to score an unconverted try.
Roseland battled back and after a period of pressure fly half Matt Eddy struck a lovely drop goal to make the scores 5-3.

The Roseland pack started to exert some dominance on the game. Shunting Newquay back at scrum time and starting to carry strongly in the loose, particularly skipper Andrew Stark, second row Ed Llewellyn and No8 Nathan Chapman.
Roseland gained field position from several penalties and from one penalty took a scrum and walked the Newquay 8 over the line for Chapman to dot down the try. Eddy landed the difficult conversion and the scores were 10-5. There was no more scoring in the first half so Roseland led 10-5 at half time.

Playing against the moderate breeze and with just a slight scoreboard advantage Roseland knew they had their work cut out.
Both sides kept playing running rugby and making inroads but s combination of stout defence and poor handling and decision making from both sides led to opportunities being missed. Newquay hit back with a converted try to sneak the lead at 12-10.
Roseland showing some true grit and determination that at times was missing last season battled back into the Newquay half and were awarded a kickable penalty. Matt Eddy had brought his kicking boots today as he slotted another penalty try drag Roseland back in front at 13-12.
Both sides battled hard and were adjusting adjusting to the new law variations well.
Newquay once again snuck into the lead this time kicking a penalty of their own to lead 15-13 with about 10 minutes to play.

The final 10 minutes were a battle royale. Both sides were desperate to kick off their campaigns with a victory and Roseland were keen to get the scalp of a senior side such as Newquay.
Roseland pressed hard for a score that would get them back into the lead and were grateful once again to the boot of Eddy who slotted a nerveless penalty from 40m to edge Roseland in front 16-15 with less than 5 minutes to play.
Newquay fought hard to get a scoring chance of their own but Roseland defended stoutly and kept them near the half way line but when a turnover chance on half way was penalised for hands in the ruck Newquay took a quick tap and with their quicker backs made good yards. A useful grubber kick deep into the Roseland 22 gave the Roseland full back little option but to poke the ball into touch 5m from the try line. Newquay secured the lineout and after their forwards had a go battering though the defence to score the ball was then spread to the backs who skipped around the outside of the Roseland defence to score the match winning try. The conversion was made, the final whistle blew, the Newquay players and supporters let out a huge cheer and the Roseland players sunk on their haunches defeated but not completely deflated.
Newquay picked up the 4 points for a win and Roseland walked away with a losing bonus point but the foundations laid for hopefully a successful season.

Roseland entertain another table topping side in Liskard-Looe next week at Philleigh, 3pm kick off.